How can love last for a lifetime? It’s not as complex as you might think, though at times it’s not easy either.
- Express physical love daily – Every single day do something that connects you physically in a positive way. This can be as little as a quick kiss or as lovely as a long bath together. Sex is great, but don’t limit yourself to only one way to express physical love. Explore new opportunities to bring each other pleasure. Cuddle for just a moment, linger in a hug, hold hands, keep that physical relationship alive.
- Make goals together – Your life together will only be together if you plan your future that way. Certainly have your own goals too, but the broad vision of your life must be a shared one.
- Give and Take – You’re just not going to get your way all of the time. On big things, on small things, on lots and lots of things. It’s important to have a loving balance of giving and receiving that is not out of obligation or fear.
- Spend time together – Do this more than you might think that you need to. Plan weekly date nights. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, just focus on spending quality time together. The more time you spend together, the closer you’ll grow.
- Spend time apart – Spending some time alone or with friends is just as important as spending time together. Maybe plan a girls or guys night out once a month. Expecting your partner to provide all your interpersonal needs can put a strain on the relationship. Nourish yourself in healthy ways so you can contribute to the health to the relationship.
- Communicate – This can’t be said enough. If couples are not talking, listening and understanding each other, problems are bound to occur. If necessary, work on improving your communication skills in therapy. Check in with your partner daily. Make time to express thoughts and feelings. And really listen!
- Commit – Lasting love is a choice. It takes work. But like anything else you desire to achieve, it is possible with dedicated effort. When both parties decide to make this a goal and commit to making the relationship a priority, especially through tough times, then love can last forever.
I am the author of the book Blockbuster Love: Lessons from the Movies on How to Create Lasting Love. In addition to being an author and artist, I am also a psychotherapist with a private practice in Burbank, CA. I am passionate about helping couples and individuals build strong healthy relationships and would welcome the opportunity to help you too. To schedule an appointment call 818-806-9170.
Latest posts by Lisa Locke (see all)
- 5 STEPS to Resolving Marital Conflict - August 11, 2017
- 7 Things You Should Know Before You Get Married - July 15, 2017
- “If it bleeds it leads”–but may also lead toSecondary Traumatic Stress for Individuals and Families - June 23, 2017